Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamestar gives Myst iv a 50%
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > Myst IV: Revelation > Myst IV: Revelation General Discussion
Bah'tahm
I read the German games magazine "Gamestar" today and found a review of Myst IV. This is a one-page review in the section "Role Playing Games" and the reviewer claims the game is "boring", the technique used "outdated" and the puzzles "too hard" and not integrated in the game.

I really don't know what the reviewer was playing, but it seems adventure games don't fit into the typical type of games getting 90%+ ratings: Egoshooters, real-time strategy and sport games. The same magazine had given Exile 70%, RealMyst 60%, URU 63% and Syberia 59% which shows their interest in any type of adventure game.
UruBoo
QUOTE (Bah'tahm @ Oct 27 2004, 08:38 PM)
...the technique used "outdated"...

Outdated??? Holy Moly!!! Show me one game, just one game (nonadventure), that has half of the technique that Revelation has. angry.gif
budgiemom
shock.gif 50%!!!! bleh.gif to German magazine--obviously geared to mindlessness!!
Mysti Sage
shhh.gif

Can't say much... except that magazine is obviously geared towards the shoot'em'up beat'em'up type of games, so naturally and high quality Myst game would get a poor rating. angry.gif
UruBoo
I understand a nonadventure gamer reviewer says that Revelation is "boring" and the puzzles are "too hard" but "outdated"??? That definitely shows he/she did not even see the box of the game, that's for sure...
Slugzzz
I guess it is not hard to understand how people would find the puzzles "too hard." The gaming industry is geard towards young males... and in the youth of America these days thinking is considered work... and people do not even read anymore. (kids in my english class made a riot because they had to read 300 pages in nine weeks!)
To give Revelation a ninety is just plain lazy!
Arowin
QUOTE (UruBoo @ Oct 29 2004, 01:10 AM)
That definitely shows he/she did not even see the box of the game, that's for sure...

What was so special about the box???
UruBoo
QUOTE (Arowin @ Oct 29 2004, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (UruBoo @ Oct 29 2004, 01:10 AM)
That definitely shows he/she did not even see the box of the game, that's for sure...

What was so special about the box???

Let me rephrase that: I meant the reviewer did not even play the game, dit not even get close to the box. Understand it now? smile.gif
Marth
QUOTE (Slugzzz @ Oct 28 2004, 11:27 PM)
I guess it is not hard to understand how people would find the puzzles "too hard." The gaming industry is geard towards young males... and in the youth of America these days thinking is considered work... and people do not even read anymore. (kids in my english class made a riot because they had to read 300 pages in nine weeks!)

Now hold that thought. I happen to be a "youth", almost 14. Yet I contantly read all sorts of things, like books and newspapers. I'm reading the Illiad in 7 weeks and I sure ain't complaing. I save complaining until the paper comes along whistling.gif

As for thinking, I can't comment on that since I don't usually think bleh.gif

So, yeah, there ARE kids out there like that. But there are other kids out there also smile.gif
Mysti Sage
QUOTE (Marth @ Oct 29 2004, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (Slugzzz @ Oct 28 2004, 11:27 PM)

Now hold that thought. I happen to be a "youth", almost 14. Yet I contantly read all sorts of things, like books and newspapers. I'm reading the Illiad in 7 weeks and I sure ain't complaing. I save complaining until the paper comes along whistling.gif

As for thinking, I can't comment on that since I don't usually think bleh.gif

So, yeah, there ARE kids out there like that. But there are other kids out there also smile.gif

Ditto to that, as most of you already know. wink3.gif

I see your point, UruBoo. Technical advancement is one of the things that isn't easily mistaken. And Myst IV (imho) oozed technical advancements. But then, I find it most likely the author was out to give it the worst review he could. Stretching the truth perhaps? He might have disliked it so much he was looking at it through hate-colored glasses. I don't know. I just hope there aren't any more of this type. M4 deserves to sell well. smile.gif
anubis137
If the reviewer was at least honest:" It made me think too much for too little gore, therefore I hate it", I might understand where he's coming from. But "outdated technique", come on, It's not even vaguely plausible that someone believes that! (Well, who played the game...)

Another mag to add to my blacklist... yucky.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.