Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rex Needs Help
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > Technical Help & Issues > Myst IV: Revelation
Rex Havoc
Well, I happily sat through the long load time to finally get to play Myst IV only for it to ask me to put the proper "CD" into the wrong drive... I loaded the latest patch with the same result. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled it with the same result. I now read that UbiSoft had the forethought to make the copy protection so tight that some DVD-RW drives "might have trouble!" I've sent a message, via Tech Support, to UbiSoft. From past experience, I figured I might get a faster response here! Certainly someone here has been able to get around this issue without having to buy another DVD drive!! (No an option!)

Thanks, in advance, for your input!!

Moderator Note

Moved this Topic to a more relevant sub-forum

4dak
I had the same problem get the no cd patch it shuold work that is the best i could do
kurtg1265
Do you have any other software installed that may be hindering your ability to play? For instance, any type of 'cloning' software or anything similar to that?
Ayli
Rex, what DVD drive do you have? Model/maker. Just in case, check the manufacturer's Drive drivers update, if it will make any difference?
RR_Caz
Rex, I know this is of no help at all, but just to let you know, that I too, read the DVD-RW problem thread on the Ubi-Soft support page, but strangely enough, my DVD drive refuses to recognize it, but my DVD-RW drive does!!! shock.gif

Mind you, upon a recommendation of a tech thread I saw somewhere, I set my burner as a Master and my reader as a Slave, wonder if that makes nay difference? unsure.gif

Really hope you can work it out without having to purchase more stuff...

PS. FYI: I have a Sony reader and an IOMagic burner...
Rex Havoc
QUOTE (Ayli @ Dec 5 2004, 09:10 PM)
Rex, what DVD drive do you have? Model/maker. Just in case, check the manufacturer's Drive drivers update, if it will make any difference?

The DVD Drive is a Sony, DVD-RW model DRU-530A
The CD Drive is a Sony, CD-RW model CRX215E1
I guess it might be a good idea for me to check for new drivers for both!!

QUOTE (RR_Caz @ Dec 5 2004, 09:24 PM)
Rex, I know this is of no help at all, but just to let you know, that I too, read the DVD-RW problem thread on the Ubi-Soft support page, but strangely enough, my DVD drive refuses to recognize it, but my DVD-RW drive does!!! shock.gif

Mind you, upon a recommendation of a tech thread I saw somewhere, I set my burner as a Master and my reader as a Slave, wonder if that makes nay difference? unsure.gif

Really hope you can work it out without having to purchase more stuff...

PS. FYI: I have a Sony reader and an IOMagic burner...

I don't recall which drive is Master and which I made Slave. The Device Driver lists the CD drive first, then the DVD drive, if that is any indication.

I also have B's Clip Software installed and running, allowing me to treat a RW, CD as a floppy. I might shut that down and see what happens!

edit: I also just left the Sony site, after leaving them a service request. Didn't see any new drivers, we will see what they say.

Thanks all, for your suggestions!! Looking forward to playing!! I'll let you know what happens!!
kurtg1265
QUOTE (Rex Havoc @ Dec 5 2004, 06:52 PM)
edit: I also just left the Sony site, after leaving them a service request.  Didn't see any new drivers, we will see what they say.

Did you find THIS page over at Sony? There is a firmware upgrade and some patches and fixes for that drive among some other downloads. Your CD-RW will do you no good anyway, as revelation is on a DVD, unless it is one that has been designed to read DVDs too.
anubis137
I also have B's Clip Software installed and running, allowing me to treat a RW, CD as a floppy. I might shut that down and see what happens!

I'd definitely try shutting that down. Copy Protect yucky.gif hates seeing those things. Your CD is probably the master, given that it's first. You could try switching, but I'd go with the Clip Software and the drivers first. One of us can walk you through the switch if nothing else...

Good luck, and have fun with Revelations!
Corona
This seems to be a new theme with newer Myst games. It seems that Uru beta was such a big hit that problems with installation are a feature instead of a bug. I think they like to tease us too much. bleh.gif
kurtg1265
QUOTE (anubis137 @ Dec 5 2004, 08:15 PM)

I'd definitely try shutting that down. Copy Protect yucky.gif hates seeing those things. Your CD is probably the master, given that it's first. You could try switching, but I'd go with the Clip Software and the drivers first. One of us can walk you through the switch if nothing else...

Good luck, and have fun with Revelations!

I hate to say it, but from what I have seen some others go through, you may need to completely uninstall the B's Clip software as the Revelation disc will still recognize it as being on your system even if you just shut it down. There have been quite a few complaints about people needing to uninstall legal copying software just to run Revelation.
DaDungeon
This may have nothing to do with what's giving your Myst IV game fits . . .
but I went through a real warpage getting my game working.

Much of my agony was self-inflicted.

I had uninstalled the game, via the game's uninstall . . .
and via Windows Add/Remove Programs Wizard.
(The same process was run in both, in the end)

But, by skipping an almost non-documented little step . . .
in that uninstall process . . .
my problems snowballed.

My game would not even intialize.

I was leaving debris in the game folder, and the subsequent re-install game was freaking out over it.

There are A LOT of parallel experiences in my journal entries to your descriptions of what is happening to you.

You might find some useful info by cruising through my online entries.
Even though your graphics card is different from mine . . .
the stuff that was brickwalling me was not all due to my video card.

And though my combo dvd writer/cd-writer . . .
which is an _RW, DVD-R, DVD+R critter . . .
had no probs with the game's security crud . . .

there is enough other stuff floating around in the total MYST IV installation blues . . .
that you may be able to sort it out . . .
in spite of apparent DVD drive issues.

I finally did . .
am I'm taking my typically slow, uniquely paced time . . .
through a beautifully working game now.

So, Rex H, check out my webpage?
Maybe something there will help?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.