Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something I Noticed In Douglas Sharper's Journal
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > URU: Ages Beyond Myst > Journals and Speeches
knitcucumber
Back on the other boards I had posted something about this, but real life hit and I wasn't able to see if there were any replies. I tried searching for it later and couldn't find a thing. Hope I'm not being too repetitive. Smack me later. wink3.gif

When I finally sat down and read through the journal of Douglas Sharper I noticed something I thought was rather nifty:

10.12.01 - A little longer than I had expected for obvious reasons. Horrible tragedy. I'm happy to have D'ni. A distraction of sorts.

The first time through I didn't really get what it was talking about, but then I realized it was talking about 9/11. I really thought it was neat that enough time was put into writing the journal that things like that were included.
Tijara
I also noticed this, and was very moved that the thought had been taken to mention it, but doing so subtly without going into any details which to me would have been a bit tasteless.

As usual a great job by Cyan thumbsup.gif
kurtg1265
You know,I really didnt catch that (yes I did read the journal).Thanks for pointing that out.I will have to re-read that journal again just to see what else I may have missed.
Trillian
I noticed that too, cucumber. I thought it showed real class. It was a tragic event and deserves to be remembered...even by games of the time. I salute them.

Trillian
Jenny
I never noticed that line before. Thank you cucumber for pointing it out again.
twifkak
Woah. I remember reading that and wondering what had happened. That's cool.
Arowin
Wow, well done for picking that one up smile.gif I missed the date completely.
I thought it would have just been a personal tragedy for him, but no cyan had to make it so much better
Myrlein
Yeah, we noticed that, too. A very classy way of dealing with such a tragedy. Great work by the Cyan team.
LaReh
I noticed that the first time I read it and was very moved. A former co-worker of mine was on the plane that hit the second tower so it was a solemn reminder of how fragile we are. Cyan did a very classy thing.
Corona
I noticed that right away....looking at the date entry.
JoSmiley
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't get it. blink.gif
Corona
(grabs JoSmiley by the collar & drags her to the janitors' closet) uh...9/11?....September 11th, 2001?....the World Trade Center bombings?...

Don't worry. You just suffered a lapse of memory. No biggie. wink3.gif
Trillian
QUOTE (LaReh @ Nov 14 2003, 08:36 PM)
I noticed that the first time I read it and was very moved. A former co-worker of mine was on the plane that hit the second tower so it was a solemn reminder of how fragile we are. Cyan did a very classy thing.

I'm so sorry to hear that LaReh. It's true...we are fragile. Condolences.....
ellen6
finally got to that point of the game and found the journal. that is pretty good. not a blatant reference just a hint.
Thiradus
I noticed it too... got a lump in my throat after reading it... blink.gif
JohnLynch
I saw it and wondered what was so important about the 10th of december unsure.gif

I get it now wink3.gif
brokenbonz02
i also never put the connection togather,duh, thanks for pointing that one out
Myridean
I had noticed too that the post was also just shortly in a matter of days after NATO had started bombing Afghanistan when the war on terrorism had been declared as well.

I agree, it was quite a moving passage for me too. down.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.