Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Code
Guild of Greeters > Guild of Gamers (General Game Discussion for other games) > Forum Based Games
www2
I don't know if this exactly counts as a game, but anyway...

CCHGCD CB
DAEF DGJ EBHI

The first person to decode this quote wins... um... Well, allright, you won't win anything. But don't let that stop you. smile.gif
Slugzzz
I hope that all you did was assign each letter a different letter... otherwise this will take a while!
www2
QUOTE (Slugzzz @ Jan 29 2005, 04:58 PM)
I hope that all you  did was assign each letter a different letter... otherwise this will take a while!

I hope you have alot of time on your hands. BUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Slugzzz
Perhaps he shifted the letters for the origional message up or down a couple characters and then scrambled the letters. And made it backwards!

Is it "Myst: The Book Of Marrim?"
www2
QUOTE (Slugzzz @ Jan 29 2005, 06:16 PM)
Perhaps he shifted the letters for the origional message up or down a couple characters and then scrambled the letters. And made it backwards!

You're thinking way too hard.

QUOTE (Slugzzz @ Jan 29 2005, 06:16 PM)
Is it "Myst: The Book Of Marrim?"

No.
Slugzzz
Awww... it fits if you do it backwards.
www2
QUOTE (Slugzzz @ Jan 29 2005, 06:23 PM)
Awww... it fits if you do it backwards.

Hmmm.... I didn't notice that before... But the answer is still no.

And don't just guess. you have to figure it out.
Ra'Phil
How bout a hint? (I have no idea here)
www2
QUOTE (Ra'Phil @ Jan 29 2005, 07:38 PM)
How bout a hint? (I have no idea here)

Well, maybe just a little one...

Click here to view a spoiler.
Dragonball161
THought so... dealing with Matricies? or is is less algebreic? If each number is given a specific digit, and then the "code" is used... uh... :dumb look:
www2
QUOTE (Dragonball161 @ Jan 29 2005, 11:10 PM)
THought so... dealing with Matricies?  or is is less algebreic?  If each number is given a specific digit, and then the "code" is used... uh... :dumb look:

unsure.gif Um... I have no clue what a Matrice is, but anyway. It does not involve algebra. I'll give you a few more hours to think about it and then, if you're still stuck, I'll give you another hint.
Dragonball161
QUOTE (www2 @ Jan 30 2005, 03:02 PM)
THought so... dealing with Matricies?  or is is less algebreic?  If each number is given a specific digit, and then the "code" is used... uh... :dumb look:

unsure.gif Um... I have no clue what a Matrice is,

The singular is matrix. NO, not THAT Matrix. It's learned in Algebra 2, and I learned in Analysis that they can be used for creating cipher for codes to figure them out. Forgot that equation thing though... rolleyes.gif

Ok, so a simple change of letters.

:ld:
www2
QUOTE (Dragonball161 @ Jan 30 2005, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (www2 @ Jan 30 2005, 03:02 PM)

unsure.gif Um... I have no clue what a Matrice is,

The singular is matrix. NO, not THAT Matrix. It's learned in Algebra 2, and I learned in Analysis that they can be used for creating cipher for codes to figure them out. Forgot that equation thing though... rolleyes.gif

Ok, so a simple change of letters.

:ld:

Oh, sorry. I haven't learned about Matricies in school yet. Aend Imn nout teau goud adt splealing.

And just because algebra isn't involved does not mean that numbers are not.

Holy Molie! Now I know what the Matrix is! *Knock, Knock!* Um... Hello... Hey! You're Agent Smi... bash.gif
Dragonkin
Here's my "guess". Since I am not sure what the question is, then the answer is just as obtuse.

Kind of like the answer to the question "What is the ultimate answer?" being 42.
Without understanding the question the answer is either wrong, vague, or useless.
Not trying to down you, www2, but it is very vague. unsure.gif
Ra'Phil
I have the same as you so far Dragonkin, but didn't know where to go from there. confused1.gif
gaiasmaiden
i have looked high...low...
and still can not find the elusive key

where oh where has the little key gone
oh where oh where can it be
Nyrphame Danilaise
Hmmmm....I got:

But I have no idea where to go from their, either...

nerf.
www2
QUOTE (Nyrphame Danilaise @ Jan 31 2005, 01:25 PM)
Hmmmm....I got:

But I have no idea where to go from their, either...

nerf.

Yes, you're right. It starts at 0 and not 1. (That's important.)
I guess it is kind of hard if you have no idea what to do. So I'll give you an example....

I hope that helps.
almlys
Well, here goes, I think that it is....

And here is how I did it...
Ayli
shock.gif Wow, Almlys!! Still need more explanation!! Like chew it up and put on the platter.

I understood the first step, but not the next. down.gif
www2
QUOTE (almlys @ Jan 31 2005, 05:08 PM)
Well, here goes, I think that it is....

And here is how I did it...

Wow! I was surprized that you got it that quick! I was also surprized that you knew about the A in Ages. I didn't notice that flaw until yesterday.

Here's how it works. The encoded part is in base 26, all you need to do is convert it to base 10. I could go in to more detail, but that would take a while. Anyhow, Congratulations Almlys! clapping.gif
Ra'Phil

Well done Almlys!! clapping.gif ......*goes off to try to work it out AGAIN*
Dragonkin
blink.gif
gaiasmaiden
confused1.gif

i have no discovered that i am so lost that i will never be found!!

blink.gif

confused1.gif
Tyr-anun
For those of you still confused (like I was confused1.gif ), but unwilling to let it go (like I was verymad.gif ):

CCHGCD = MYST How?

Each word is converted to a single number, assigning each letter to a number starting with A=0, B=1, etc.:

CCHGCD = 227623 (Where C=2, H=7, G=6, D=3)

Now convert the number from base 26 to base 10:
(This is the confusing part. You have to divide by 26, extract the remainder each time as part of the answer, and divide the remaining integer part by 26 again until a division produces 0 for the integer side.)

227623 / 26 = 8754 with Remander = 19
8754 / 26 = 336 with Remainder = 18
336 / 26 = 12 with Remainder = 24
12 / 26 = 0 with Remainder = 12

You now assemble the remainders in reverse order of how you obtained them. Each remainder is an encoded letter:

12-24-18-19

And 12-24-18-19 = MYST if again, you assign letters with A=0, B=1, etc.

So, CCHGCD = MYST

The interesting thing about this type of encoding is that there can never be a letter outside of A-J in the encoded message, since each letter is assigned to a digit, 0-9. That should have tipped us off to the letter-number relationship, but with such a short message, that conclusion would have been more of a hunch than a sure thing. Also, the word, AGES added some confusion, since the A translates to 0 at the beginning of a number. This would normally be discarded, so EBHI could be translated as GES, just as legitimately as AGES. Or AAAAAGES, for that matter. Though common sense tells us that the only reasonable answer is, in fact, AGES.

Class dismissed . . .
Ayli
worship.gif Tyr. O thank you, thank you for that train of thought. At least now I have a clue. shock.gif thumbsup.gif Gaia, come out of hiding, Tyr found you. smile.gif
Nyrphame Danilaise
badger, badger, badger
www2
QUOTE (Tyr-anun @ Feb 1 2005, 07:51 AM)
For those of you still confused (like I was  confused1.gif ), but unwilling to let it go (like I was  verymad.gif ):

CCHGCD = MYST   How?

Each word is converted to a single number, assigning each letter to a number starting with A=0, B=1, etc.:

CCHGCD = 227623  (Where C=2, H=7, G=6, D=3)

Now convert the number from base 26 to base 10:
(This is the confusing part. You have to divide by 26, extract the remainder each time as part of the answer, and divide the remaining integer part by 26 again until a division produces 0 for the integer side.)

227623 / 26 = 8754 with Remander = 19
8754 / 26 = 336 with Remainder = 18
336 / 26 = 12 with Remainder = 24
12 / 26 = 0 with Remainder = 12

You now assemble the remainders in reverse order of how you obtained them. Each remainder is an encoded letter:

12-24-18-19

And 12-24-18-19 = MYST if again, you assign letters with A=0, B=1, etc.

So, CCHGCD = MYST

The interesting thing about this type of encoding is that there can never be a letter outside of A-J in the encoded message, since each letter is assigned to a digit, 0-9. That should have tipped us off to the letter-number relationship, but with such a short message, that conclusion would have been more of a hunch than a sure thing.  Also, the word, AGES added some confusion, since the A translates to 0 at the beginning of a number. This would normally be discarded, so EBHI could be translated as GES, just as legitimately as AGES. Or AAAAAGES, for that matter. Though common sense tells us that the only reasonable answer is, in fact, AGES.

Class dismissed . . .

Wow Tyr-anun! You guys are so smart! It only took you three days! Anyway, That's not quite how I do it, but I like your way better.

Here's how I (used to) do it.

For the word Myst.
1. CCGGCD = 227623
2. (Since 227623 is > 17576 and < 456976 then...) 227623 divided by 17576 (26 x 26 x 26) = 12
3. 12 times 17576 = 210912
4. 227623 minus 210912 = 16711
5. 16711 divided by 676 (26 x 26) = 24
6. 24 times 676 = 16224
7. 16711 minus 16224 = 487
8. 487 divided by 26 = 18
9. 18 times 26 = 468
10. 487 minus 468 = 19
11. 12-24-18-19
12. M-Y-S-T

For the word Ages. (This is where my stupid flaw is.)
1. EBHI
2. 4178
3. (4178 is > 676 and < 17576 but the word start's with an A so...) 4178 divided by 17576 = 0
4. 0 times 17576 = 0
5. 4178 minus 0 = 0
6. 4178 divided by 676 = 6
7. 6 times 676 = 4056
8. 4178 minus 4056 = 122
9. 122 divided by 26 = 4
10. 4 times 26 = 104
11. 122 minus 104 = 18
12. 0-6-4-18
13. A-G-E-S

That's way to hard, so I'm going to use your way from now on.

Shorah.
Ayli
QUOTE (www2 @ Feb 1 2005, 05:31 PM)
5. 4178 minus 0 = 0

Isn't it 4178-0=4178? shock.gif
Ra'Phil
Oh my - thanks for the explanations Tyr and www.

That hurt my brain!!
www2
QUOTE (Ayli @ Feb 1 2005, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (www2 @ Feb 1 2005, 05:31 PM)
5. 4178 minus 0 = 0

Isn't it 4178-0=4178? shock.gif

Oops! blush.gif Sorry. I must have had a brain fart. headbang.gif
d'rbeh
these kind of hearken back to my days in high school algebra class (i HATED my teacher, and so i think i have a kind of block against number games like this... ) each time i do them, i see her standing at front of class, ruler in hand....

waiting...

always waiting....

huh.gif
Rex Havoc
QUOTE (d'rbeh @ Feb 2 2005, 10:41 PM)
these kind of hearken back to my days in high school algebra class (i HATED my teacher, and so i think i have a kind of block against number games like this... ) each time i do them, i see her standing at front of class, ruler in hand....

waiting...

always waiting....

huh.gif

Too bad she didn't have a "Craw" Hammer!! lmao.gif
d'rbeh
i think it was ball-peen

and her name was ::: ominous voice ::: MRS. KRAUSS

:::: shivers uncontrollably :::
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.