Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neil's "gitchy Goomy''
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > MYSTellaneous General Discussion
gueri
Hi, my name is gueri, an Australian citizen living in Sydney, new to this forum.

Whilst googling for this ND's song lyrics I found an entry from guildofgreeters threading through the lyrics of different songs, some of them not even in English, so I thought I might seek help here about my quandary with the meaning of these lyrics: "Gitchy Goomy, gitchy gaddy, sit you laddie down while I have my say..."

Is this a caring, rather senile, father, warmingly advising and guiding his children?

What or who is Gitchy Goomy? gitchy gaddy? Is he or she, daddys' boy/girl? a tenaager? a young adult?

Are these expressions common slang American English? Have they a Hebrew connotation?

"Goggin Noggin" Is this a familiar way to say troting away? running around? and if not, what on earth is goggin noggin? not scanning the google, most surely!

Well, with so many thanks for any help forthcoming,

cheers

gueri
devonette
Hi, gueri, and welcome to the Guild of Greeters! We are so glad you found us, and hope you will enjoy what we have to offer here!

Well, for one thing, Gitchy Goomy is another name for Lake Superior, the biggest of the Great Lakes in the US/Canada. Gordon Lightfoot mentions the name in "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow mentions it in his poem "The Song of Hiawatha". Aside from that, in combination with "gitchy gaddy" and "goggin noggin", I think it's just rhyming nonsense words like you find in many children's songs, nursery rhymes, jump rope rhymes, etc. The song itself is meant to be a man talking to his young child, telling him the world is a great place to be and things will be okay, as much to reassure himself (someone who seems to have seen hard times) as to reassure his child, using the kind of words his child will understand. It's interesting to note that Neil Diamond also has another Longfellow connection with his song "Longfellow Serenade".
gueri
QUOTE (devonette @ Sep 21 2005, 01:15 PM)
Hi, gueri, and welcome to the Guild of Greeters!  We are so glad you found us, and hope you will enjoy what we have to offer here!

Hi devonette,
So many thanks for your courteous reception and for your complete reply.

I thought, indeed, that it must have been the sort of rhyming nonsense words, as you pointed out in your reply.

I found it interesting, though, to know that Lake Superior has been know by that 'Gitchy Goomy' name, which takes me to elucubrate, now, whether the root of the name comes from some of the first american indians' dialects rather than from the Hebrew language.

With kind regards, my best wishes,

gueri
Ken Telinome
Yes, the name "Gitchy goomy", though not spelled that way, is indeed a Native American name. European settlers then named the lake Lake Superior much later.

Welcome to the Guild of Greeters Gueri! HIT-and-drag.gif rock.gif
Shadowcats
Yay another Aussie biggrin.gif
See guys we are taking over. tongue.gif
Welcome to the Gog gueri clapping.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.